Aaron R Thomas Proves it’s Great when Acrylic Goes Green
- We focus on creating heirloom quality, handmade acrylic furniture for generations to enjoy, thus reducing the amount of unnecessary waste sent to landfills.
- Since beginning our recycling program in June 2007, ART Design has recycled over 7 tons of acrylic. Anyone can drop off or ship unwanted acrylic, where it is combined with our own REMs (acrylic lingo for scraps) and recycled into a plastic material suitable for outdoors, such as decks.
- We up-cycle, using acrylic that would normally be send for recycling and create new products, such as the Chandelirium.
- For mixed media products, such as the Manhattan Table and Barcelona Table (above), Common 1,2,3 Mahogany is used. This type of wood is normally thrown away because of its "imperfections", which ART Design transforms into unique pieces of art making use of the previously undesired knots. The Barcelona Table is made using reclaimed stainless steel brackets to further ensure the longevity of the piece.
- To reduce our carbon footprint, not only is the acrylic we order made in the U.S., rather than overseas, but we produce all furniture by hand in our design and manufacturing studio in Orange County, California. This not only reduces fuel needs, it allows the design team to inspect each piece to ensure perfection before leaving their door.
- Aaron is also a member of the Orange County Chapter of Green Building Council, whose mission is to be advocates for a sustainable Orange County.